9/02/2005

Men of Mathematics



I have taken a respite from reading Jostein Gaarder's Sophie's World. I am now reading ET Bell's Men of Mathematics. I am still in the Introduction section. And so far, it has been interesting.

I asked my mom to buy this book to serve as my reference book for my History of Math class. However, I realized that it is not just an ordinary textbook. Actually, it is not a textbook at all. It's an interesting look at the lives of mathematicians who have made great contributions to modern mathematics. The introduction states that even those with only high school level knowledge of mathematics will be able to understand fully the book.

I know some people will probably crucify me for saying this, but it has been more engaging than Sophie's World. I know, I know it sounds geeky, but that just my opinion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. At least it did not present itself as a novel (which was Jostein's mistake (or maybe not, maybe it was the translator's mistake).

:D

Anonymous said...

maayo siguro ang author. many people would agree that math is boring.. hehehe :)