9/02/2005

Memoirs of a Geisha Movie


Everyone who has read the book, like me, is probably excited about this movie. The book by Arthur Golden is interesting, engaging and unusually exciting. Sayuri's life, albeit fictional, was painted so articulately and vividly that you can almost feel her every emotion. I am about to re-read the book to prepare for the motion picture release.


The motion picture stars Zhang Ziyi as Sayuri, Michelle Yeoh as her mentor Mameha and Ken Watanabe as the Chairman. There has been much discussion whether the producers made the right decision in casting non-Japanese actors. Steven Spielberg's Dreamworks is one of films producers. It is directed by Rob Marshall (Chicago).

So far, the trailer does not disappoint. Big money was obviously spent to capture the setting of the story which was vividly describe by Golden in his book. Some book lovers, hoever, note that the filmmakers didn't use the proper period costumes. Honestly, I don't know the difference.

As long as the movie sticks to the spirit of the book, then it might just become one of my favorite films of all time. Just a few months of waiting left. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I HAVE READ THE BOOK 3 TIMES ALREADY MYSELF. AND I HAVE JUST FINISHED IT FOR THE 4TH TIME IN PREPARATION OF THE MOVIE. BUT ALSO B/C IT IS MY FAVORITE BOOK OF ALL TIMES. ARTHUR GOLDEN SET THE BACKDROP SO VIVDLY THAT I FELT AS I WERE A BUTTERFLY ALWAYS WATCHING OVER SAYURI. MY FRIENDS SEEM TO THINK I HAVE A BIASED LIKING TO THE BOOK BECAUSE IRONICALLY MY NAME IS GEISHA!! :) BUT THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE MISSING!!